Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Adventures with Doctors



What an eventful couple of days!  First came the visit to the pediatrician yesterday for the circumcision.  Everything went great!  Sarah made me watch.  Besides the procedure, they also measured and weighed him -- his size right now puts him in the 8th percentile.  I can't imagine that a son of mine would stay petite for too long, but who knows?  If he truly does have Sarah's
build...we just hope that means that a future daughter of ours won't be stuck with my body!
 
Today we had the EEG and the neurologist consult at Primary's.  Our efforts to bring Drew in sleep-deprived for the EEG backfired; he ended up sleeping while we as parents deprived ourselves of sleep.  He has shown an uncanny (inherited?) ability to sleep through anything.  We were lucky because in spite of his rest he still ended up sleeping through the entire hourlong EEG -- which consisted of 23 electrodes placed all over his head taking readings of his brainwaves.  Sarah got to hold him in her arms for the whole thing, and even fell asleep right alongside him. 

A couple hours later we met with the neurologist in the dark because the 
power had gone out.  The word he used to describe Drew's case was "puzzling."  The EEG came back showing no signs of seizure activity, but it did show that his brain was a few weeks behind in its development.  The neurologist told us to take a week to wean Drew off of his medication and then come back for a follow-up visit in a couple months.  I guess even if no one exactly knows why Drew's first week went the way it did, at least we'll get to stop giving him phenolbarbitol.

Since Sarah is an employee at Primary's, we got to show Drew off to all of her coworkers.  They all gathered around to see him and were quick to tell Drew how adorable he was.  They made us want to show him off more!  

13 comments:

Diamonds Are Forever said...

Sounds like everything is going good! We are glad that he is sleeping and that it looks like the seizures have stopped. Looking forward to seeing all of you. Happy Holidays!! We love you guys.

The Teuschers said...

we are so happy to hear that everything is going good for you guys!

Kristin and Tyler said...

Hooray! A new post! Very cute pictures. What a handsome devil. I can't believe the picture with all those things stuck to his little head. Who knew they could find room on that little tiny head to put all that stuff?! Wow!
We love you guys!

a.t.a said...

Drew is so cuute & I'm sure you hear that all of the time! What a good sleeper. He'll have to teach Ava a thing or two!

Love,

The Magalei's

Em said...

Hi Sarah! Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby Drew. I loved seeing the pictures of your family. You guys have really had to be brave these past weeks. I bet that was really scary. I hope all continues to go well, and that you have a happy happy Christmas. Love, Emilie

Abby said...

Ok all I can think is "pug puppy" on that first photo, with that wrinkly little forehead. So cute.
So I am a horrible sister and asked all about the circumcision and not about the brain scan. That little boy is a mystery. We love ya and we'll see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Considering his Gardiner genes, I'm not at all surprised that the little guy is a great sleeper.

Although he's never been officialy diagnosed w/ an actual medical condition, I have no doubt that Drew's dad has some legitimate sleep related health problems.

I'd be willing to bet that Ted holds the all-time record for falling asleep during morning, afternoon and nightly prayers.

If you want to hear one of the funniest stories ever, ask Ted about the time he fell asleep while he was in "his office" when he was 12 years old...

Desiree said...

Yeah, we love good news.

Wendy said...

Hey, sorry we bailed on Wednesday! Kristin probably told you that I was some sort of flaky person who committed to visit you when I actually had other plans on that night. But the truth is, those Browns were completely unwilling to share you. I guess they felt threatened. I can't blame them! ;)

How's the 10th?

Wendy R

Nate & Emily said...

Sarah! I linked on here from Amanda's blog. Wow! I had to do a bit of reading to find out what was going on. your little one is adorable. I hope things continue to go well for him. You'll be in our prayers.

Emily

Somer said...

After not being able to finish the chat (gmail froze) I was anxious to find out how little Drew is doing and remembered you had sent an email link to your blog. Sounds like everything is going well. We will keep you in our prayers to. Keegan and Drew are a week apart. Keegan is also taking phenobarbitol. but for different reasons. We will have to get together and catch up soon.
Love the Schmidts

Daniel B. said...

Hell-O! I see a mini-Ted in the making. Give that kid a soccer ball!

Megan said...

That picture of Drew in the carseat is priceless! He looks so teeny! Don't worry Ted I am sure he will grow up to have huge muscles like you and Sarah's good looks! (okay you are both good looking that came out way wrong) I forgot to ask how the circumsion(sp?) went! I can't believe you watched Ted! Scary! How is little Drew doing now? Post some more pics and another post when you guys get a chance! Good to see you both at the holiday party. Miss you Sarah!