So it looks like we are going to have to wait a couple more days to bring Drew home. The last couple days, when Drew hasn't been supplemented by anything, he has lost weight -- which is fine in and of itself -- but couple that with the fact that his urine output has decreased to a third of what it should be, and all of the sudden going home today is out of the picture. The doctor gave us three choices: 1) use a feeding tube, 2) use the "SNS" syringe feeding, or 3) use a bottle. He made it very clear that he favored option #3, but left the decision up to us. After some discussion, we chose option #3. So now Sarah nurses him for one feeding, and I bottle feed him the for the next.
From now on, we will try to be more careful about getting our hopes up. Obviously, staying in the hospital for a couple more days is not what we had planned on, but we'll be just fine. And so will Drew.
First day of school
11 years ago
6 comments:
I am sorry to hear that you have to stay a few more days. I bet that was difficult to hear, especially since you must have been so excited to finally come HOME. Drew will get the hang of things.... sometimes it just takes a few steps forward and a few steps back before everything clicks! Your family is continually in our prayers!
Love, Jared and Reini
Oh blast! I was so hoping you guys would be home today. . .I'll keep my fingers crossed for this weekend. He is so stinkin cute and I can't wait to actually snuggle him (although it was fun to see him sport his pretty sweet sunglasses). Thanks for the updates and as ALWAYS...let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do for you guys.
I know it was hard to hear, but he will come along in good time. He just needs to learn a few more things. Hope you and Sarah are doing well. Please call if you need anything.
Hang in there guys! Soon enough you will be home with that sweet little boy and terrified to death that there are NOT any doctors or nurses around. That's how it works for us EVERY time. Let us know how we can help!
I don't think the dr's should be able to tell you he gets to come home until about 10 minutes before signing the release papers :) We've had a few experiences with that too and it's one of the most disappointing things. I always figured that babies came hard wired knowing exactly how to eat and never knew that it would be one of the most frustrating things we'd have to deal with. I pray that he'll start packin on the ounces and you'll be able to go home really soon.
Love you,
Kristy
Hello Sarah, Ted, and Drew! Emily Morgan here. Sorry to hear you are still in the hospital... I am thinking about you guys! Drew is so cute...I love all the pictures of him!
Post a Comment